Monday, January 28, 2008

What's On Your Bucket List?


I was with some friends yesterday and we decided to go see a movie. Sometimes we have seen movies that are a flop. We look at each other and smirk. That was a waste. But, we have something in common to talk about. We shared the experience together. Then, however, there are great moments when we all see a movie and it is good. When we walk out of the theater, I smile. I wonder who’s going to make the first comment. After all, we vary a great deal in age, experience and tastes. This weekend we hit a winner. Together we went to see the Bucket List. It stars two greats: Jack Nicholason and Morgan Freeman. Two totally different strangers are thrown into life together because of their mutual fight with cancer. One is a man of faith, the other is a hedonist. But, their common fight draws their life together to live out a “bucket list.” That is a list of things that they would like to do before they “kick the bucket” that is, before they die. Whose philosophy and values in life affects the other? Whose life finishes the movie embracing eternity’s hope? I liked it. All of my friends liked it. For the wide age span and varied tastes, we liked it together. So it got me thinking, what would I want on my bucket list? I mean we all will come to an end in life at some point, so why not have some things you want to do before you do. Some of the things I came up with are:


  • Travel by cruise from Brazil to Chile

  • See the Taj Mahal, the Serrengeti and Pyamids of Egypt

  • Help out in an organization that would benefit others

  • Take a cruise on the Medditeranean, seeing Greece and Europe

  • Go with my friend to Tuscany or Provence for a wine tasting trip

  • Master some of the foreign languages I have studied

  • Teach someone to read, possibly in a poor country

  • Read through some of the classics again
  • Go to NYC with friends

  • Travel across America

  • Sky Dive

  • Make a diffence in others lives

  • Get back into snail mail with friends

So that is just the beginning. In my mind the bucket list is something to look forward to, these are things we strive to accomplish in our lives. They are things that give us a reason for going through life. I wonder what others would have on their lists.....

No comments:

Powered By Blogger