Saturday, January 26, 2008

Life's Ups and Downs


Today when I woke up I knew I had a busy day ahead of me. I woke up full of energy and was off to breakfast with my dad at one of our little spots. We had a great talk and then we went our separte ways. I had an appointment that would take about 1 1/2 hours and then rushed back across town for a funeral for the Weathers Family. I knew this funeral would be difficult, you see, it was the infant daughter of my friends and pastor, Sophie Ann. There was a mixture of joy and sadness. It was difficult to watch my friends in their brokenness, but at the same time I knew they were rejoicing that Sophie is in Heaven with our Heavenly Father and she is perfect. Here brief time here with us has touched so many. In the service it was mentioned that she has touched people in 44 states and 14 countries. That is amazing. She has brought people to a new understanding of faith. Of course there are questions and the answers will not come until we meet our Maker. Jerrod Brown, a photographer with The Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep Foundation, had taken some amazing photos of Aimee, Carlton, Sophie, Hannah and Noah. It was so difficult to see this little one and know that we will not have the chance to watch her grow, she will not see the dreams we had for her, but I am so thankful that the brief time she was here, we were able to have a glimpse of the love her family has shared with us. She is a beautiful child and the pictures captured her in ways you would not think possible. The tiny hands and feet looked so perfect, you could not help to miss her. I am thankful that her parents carefully planned for her. They have shared a very personal and emotional journey with us at the funeral and through our church. My faith has been challenged and increased. I do not understand why this happens to such dear, faithful people, but I can already see the changes that Sophie has brought and the glory that was given back to God. Much like Rick Burgess, the pain is great, but through the Lord the strength is powerful and the testimony is challenging for all who do not believe in a Savior. I left the graveside with an unexplainable feeling, but I know God has been faithful and he will bless the faithful. I know the family will have a grief that is understandibly difficult, but even in their pain they helped us to rejoice for Sophie Ann. On the other extreme, my day ended with an engagement party for a dear friend. It is amazing, to have the turn of emotions in one day. I am so excited to be the part of a new beginning for Jenn and Todd. I cannot help to get excited about the love they share and the joy and excitement of watching Jenn open her china. She has a wonderful journey ahead of her and I am glad for her. God is gracious to allow joy on a day that started with sorrow. It is amazing that we cross paths of so many people and the realm of emotions and events we share with them. I do not know what will come next, but I know there are many things to be learned, enjoyed, cry about and walk though. I am glad I could experience the extremes today, it makes you realize how precious life is.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger